The Crit'Air Categories and Vehicle Types Concerned
In order to realise the allocation of a Crit'Air Vignette to a vehicle type, a vehicle in France first of all will have to be allocated to a related vehicle type. The cars can be subdivided in 3 type groups L, M, and N as follows:
- A passenger car belongs to type M1: transport of persons up to 8 seats (plus driver's seat), total weight up to 3.5 tons
- A bus belongs to type M2 or M3: transport of persons in more than 8 seats (plus driver's seat), weight between 3.5 and 5 tons corresponds to M2. The transport of persons in more than 8 seats (plus driver's seat) and a weight of more than 5 tons corresponds to M3
- A commercial vehicle belongs to type N1: transport of goods, total weight up to 3.5 tons
- A truck belongs to type N2 or N3: transport of goods, total weight more than 12 tons corresponds to N3
- Motorcycles, mopeds, tricycles, and 4-wheel lightweight vehicles up to 400 kg belong to vehicle types L1-L7
All vehicle types can be found in detail under Décret 2016-697 from 27.05.2016, Code de la Route - Article R311-1.